The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts in 12 border scenes
Antique Russian icon: second half of the 18th century. Central Russia.
Oklad cover: 1852. Moscow. V.S. Semenov’s workshop.
Size: 39 х 38 х 3 cm
Wood, underlying layer of canvas is not visible, gesso, tempera. Oklad cover: silver, embossing, engraving, gilding.
Brands on the Oklad cover: Moscow coat-of-arms (around the middle of the 19th century); silver hallmark “84;” “М·Ч / 1852” – the brand of the assayer Michael Pavlovich Churmazov (1841–1852); “В·С” in the oval shield – the official brand of the Vasiliy Sergeevich Semenov’s silversmith workshop.
The author’s paintwork is in an overall good state, currently under the slightly darkened varnish (olifa) layer. Small fragmentations are seen on the metal oklad cover of the religious icon.ASK A QUESTION
Write to us if you want to buy this product.
The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts
Diagram of the border scenes:
- The Nativity of the Mother of God;
- The Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple;
- The Annunciation;
- The Nativity of Christ (The Adoration of the Magi);
- Candlemas (The Meeting of Christ in the Temple);
- The Theophany (The Baptism of Christ);
- The Transfiguration;
- The Entrance into Jerusalem;
- The Ascension;
- The Old Testament Trinity;
- The Dormition of the Mother of God;
- The Elevation of the Holy Cross.