The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts and the Holy Trinity in 16 border scenes
Antique Russian icon. End of the 18th century. Yaroslavl.
Size: 36 х 30.5 х 2.1 cm
Wood (one whole panel), two incut profiled support boards, absence of an incut centerpiece, underlying layer of canvas not visible, gesso, tempera, gold.
The author’s paintwork is in a very good state. Slight chafing and fallouts of paint.
The reverse of the antique icon panel bears several pencil inscriptions. Over the upper support board (in two lines): «Освящена 1го Апреля 1915го года / палеховскомъ Крестовоздвиженск. Храме» (Blessed April 1st, 1915/in Palekh’s Elevation of the Holy Cross Church). Under the upper support board (in the same handwriting): «Сей Образъ куп. 1915 года Марта 19го дня въ Москве» (This icon bought on March 19th, 1915 in Moscow). Bellow, in the center of the panel: «семья Сусловых» (The Suslov Family).ASK A QUESTION
Write to us if you want to buy this product.
The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts and the Holy Trinity
Diagram of the border scenes:
- The Nativity of the Mother of God;
- The Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple;
- The Old Testament Trinity;
- The Annunciation;
- The Nativity of Christ;
- Candlemas (The Meeting of Christ in the Temple);
- The Theophany (The Baptism of Christ);
- The Entrance into Jerusalem;
- The Transfiguration;
- The Ascension;
- The Dormition of the Mother of God;
- The Raising of Lazarus;
- The Beheading of John the Baptist;
- The Crucifixion;
- The Fiery Ascent of the Prophet Elias;
- The Elevation of the Holy Cross;
- The New Testament Trinity (The Enthronement).