The Feodorovskaya Icon of the Mother of God, with the Legend of the Icon in 16 border scenes
End of the 19th century. Icon-painting villages of the Vladimir region.
Size: 36 х 31 х 2.5 cm
Wood (three panels), two incut support boards (now lost), absence of an incut centerpiece, underlying layer of canvas not visible, gesso, tempera, gold.
The author’s paintwork is in a very good condition. Slight chafing and in places – punctuated restoration tonings.
The reverse of the panel bears an ink inscription in nine lines: Въ благословенiе Досточтимой Игуме– / нiи, Серафимо–Понетаевскаго Монастыря, / Нектарiѣ; въ знаменательный день воз– / веденiя Ея въ санъ Игуменiи, 9 января, / 1894 года, бывшаго въ Крестовой, Свя– / тителя Митрофана, Воронежкаго / Чудотворца, церкви, что при Ниже– / городскомъ Архiересйкомъ домѣ. / Недостойный Архимандритъ Феодосiй.
«In Blessing to the Reverend Abbess Nectaria of St. Seraphim Ponetaevskii Monastery; given on the memorable day of her ascension to the rank of Abbess on January 9th, 1894 in the Holy Cross/Saint Mitrophanes of Voronezh Church near the Nizhny Novgorod Archbishop’s Residence. The unworthy Archimandrite Theodosius.”ASK A QUESTION
Write to us if you want to buy this product.
The Feodorovskaya Icon of the Mother of God, with the Legend of the Icon
Diagram of the border scenes:
- Saint Theodore Stratilates brings the Icon to Kostroma;
- The Appearance of the Icon on a tree to Prince Vasiliy Kvashnya of Kostroma during his hunting trip;
- Prince Vasiliy tries to take the Icon, yet it remains untouched;
- The Prince’s prayer before the Icon;
- A Sacred Procession comes from Kostroma to the tree;
- The Icon is brought to Kostroma;
- The Icon is placed in Church of Saint Theodore Stratilates;
- Prayer before the Icon in the church and miraculous healings of the faithful;
- The inhabitants of Gorodets recognize the Icon as one of their own;
- The First Fire in the Church – the Icon remains unharmed by the flames;
- Prince Vasiliy builds a new Church for the Icon and decorates it with a precious oklad cover;
- The Prince prays before the Icon, asking the Mother of God to protect his city from the Tatars;
- The Icon is brought to the battlefield – the Tatars are blinded by the Divine Light issuing from the Icon;
- The Second Fire in the Church. The Icon is miraculously taken up into the sky and is saved from the flames;
- Prince Ivan and the people of Kostroma pray before the Icon so that it never leaves their city without aid and protection;
- Prince Ivan builds the stone Dormition Cathedral with the side-chapel of Saint Theodore Stratilates to house the Icon.