The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts in 12 border scenes
Antique Russian icon. First third of the 19th century. Palekh.
Size: 31 х 26 х 2 cm
Wood (one whole panel), two incut profiled support boards, a shallow incut centerpiece, underlying layer of canvas, gesso, tempera, gold.
The author’s paintwork is in a very good state with only slight chafing and several fallouts of paintwork in places. On the rib of the panel (on the right), there is an ink inscription «праз/ики» (Russian for “Feasts”). On the backside of the panel, above the top support board, there is another inscription – in pencil – with the Russian word “ризу” (“Riza cover”). Such inscriptions are common for the 19th-century Russian icon paintings and were usually placed by the craftsman who took a religious icon to make an oklad (or riza) cover. The nail holes on the edges of the panel indicate that the oklad cover was indeed devised and placed on this antique icon.ASK A QUESTION
Write to us if you want to buy this product.
The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts
Diagram of the border scenes:
- The Nativity of the Mother of God;
- The Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple;
- The Annunciation;
- The Nativity of Christ;
- Candlemas (The Meeting of Christ in the Temple);
- The Theophany (The Baptism of Christ);
- The Entrance into Jerusalem;
- The Transfiguration;
- The Ascension;
- The Old Testament Trinity;
- The Dormition of the Mother of God;
- The Elevation of the Holy Cross.