The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades with Church Feasts in 16 border scenes
Antique Russian icon. First quarter of the 19th century. Palekh.
Size: 36 х 31 х 2.5 cm
Wood (two panels), two incut support boards (now lost), absence of the incut centerpiece, underlying layer of canvas not visible, gesso, tempera, gold.
The author’s paintwork is in a very good state and is currently covered with a thin web of crazing. Slight chafing and small fallouts of the paint also present. On the reverse of the panel, one can see two abbreviated inscriptions made in pencil: «Б. Я. / гор[шечни]кову» и «и Хе Гербер.»ASK A QUESTION
Write to us if you want to buy this product.
The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades with Church Feasts
Diagram of the border scenes:
- The Nativity of the Mother of God;
- The Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple;
- The Old Testament Trinity;
- The Annunciation;
- The Nativity of Christ;
- Candlemas (The Meeting of Christ in the Temple);
- The Theophany (The Baptism of Christ);
- The Entrance into Jerusalem;
- The Transfiguration;
- The Ascension;
- The Dormition of the Mother of God;
- The Raising of Lazarus;
- The Beheading of John the Baptist;
- The Elevation of the Holy Cross;
- The Fiery Ascent of the Prophet Elias;
- The Pokrov (Feast of the Protective Veil of the Mother of God).