Antique Russian Icons at “The Most Wonderful Art” Exhibition
RussianIcon is pleased to introduce an amazing exhibition of antique Russian icons, which is currently on view at the State Historical Museum in Moscow, Russia. The exhibition titled “The Most Wonderful Art: Icons from the Collection of Grigory Leps” features approximately 200 unique hand-painted icons collected by the famous Russian singer and composer Grigory Leps for more than 20 years. Highly recommended!
The Most Wonderful Art: Icons from the Collection of Grigory Leps
If you are living in Moscow or planning to visit this wonderful city in the next few weeks, don’t miss a chance to attend “The Most Wonderful Art: Icons from the Collection of Grigory Leps” exhibition at the State Historical Museum located between Red Square and Manege Square! It gives just an excellent opportunity to get acquainted with an outstanding selection of antique Russian icons that have never been shown to the public before. This impressive collection belongs to the Honored Artist of the Russian Federation Grigory Leps who is also a serious collector of religious icon art of museum quality. All the antique Russian icons exhibited at “The Most Wonderful Art” exhibition represent rare examples of 16th – early 20th-century iconography of the highest quality, which makes them stand out from many others. The highlights include the following five antique Russian icons.
- The beautiful icon at the top of the post is an antique icon of St. Maximus the Greek. It was presumably created by Old Believers in Moscow in the first half – the middle of the 19th century.
- Icon of the Royal Deesis with the Kneeling Monk Theodosios the Great and St. Varlaam of Khutyn. It was painted by Maxim Ivanov Repiev in 1696.
- Antique icon of the Mother of God “Assuage My Sorrows.” It was created by the talented iconographer Zakhar Fedorov Bronin in 1820 in Moscow.
- Icon of Christ Emmanuel with Evangelists and Archangels. This fantastic example of antique Russian icons from the collection of Grigory Leps was painted by Old Believers in Moscow in 1805 – 1814.
- Icon of Christ Pantocrator with Sts. Macarius of Kalyazin and Marfa of Cappadocia in the border scenes. It was created by Ivan Dmitrievich Krauzov in 1875 in Moscow.
The presented selection of antique Russian icons at “The Most Wonderful Art: Icons from the Collection of Grigory Leps” exhibition is indeed impressive, with many exceptional examples of museum-quality religious icon art. The exhibition runs at the State Historical Museum through January 14, 2019.