The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts in 16 border scenes
Antique Russian icon. End of the 19th century. Mstyora.
Size: 31 х 26.5 х 2.5 cm
Wood (possibly cypress), one whole panel, two incut smooth support boards, a shallow incut centerpiece, the underlying layer of canvas is not visible, tempera, gold, embossing on the gesso.
The author’s paintwork is in a very good state. Slight chafing of the gold on the borders.ASK A QUESTION
Write to us if you want to buy this product.
The Resurrection – The Harrowing of Hades, with Church Feasts
Diagram of the border scenes:
- The Nativity of the Mother of God;
- The Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple;
- The Old Testament Trinity;
- The Annunciation;
- The Nativity of Christ;
- Candlemas (The Meeting of Christ in the Temple);
- Theophany (The Baptism of Christ);
- The Entrance into Jerusalem;
- The Transfiguration;
- The Ascension;
- The Dormition of the Mother of God;
- The Raising of Lazarus;
- The Beheading of John the Baptist;
- The Elevation of the Holy Cross;
- The Fiery Ascent of the Prophet Elias;
- The Pokrov (Feast of the Protective Veil of the Mother of God).